This one is on DH’s approved list. I have it as a mid-morning or mid-afternoon snack, but he gets to eat it alongside his NS Breakfast entree.
Just remember to get everything ready before you put the butter in the pan – you won’t have much time to do prep work after that!
Ingredients (for one serving)
1 tsp garlic spread*
1 button mushroom, chopped
1 tbsp bell pepper, chopped
1 tbsp onion, chopped
pinch “Salad Herbs” or Italian Seasoning**
pinch fresh ground black pepper
pinch garlic salt
1 WW thin bun (or a whole wheat English Muffin)
1 tbsp salsa (optional)
- Chop vegetables if not done. Put the bread into the toaster, but DO NOT push down just yet.
- Crack the egg into a small bowl and add the seasonings. Beat with a fork until combined and a little fluffy.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. When it’s ready, add the garlic spread.
- Add the vegetables to the melted garlic spread and stir to coat.
- Continue to heat, stirring often, until the mushrooms are almost cooked. (See above.)
- Put the toast down.
- Continue to cook the vegetables until the toast pops. Ignore it, and pour in the egg mixture.
- Gently scrape the egg mixture from the outer edges towards the centre of the pan, turning just enough to solidify. Don’t overcook!
- Turn off burner and remove pan from heat. Put half of toast on a small plate, heap cooked egg on top.
- Add salsa, if using, and cover with other piece of toast.
* If you don’t have any in the house, you can use butter, margarine or cooking oil.
** I picked up a bottle of something called Salad Herbs in the produce section. It’s a mix of freeze-dried onion, chives, parsley, dill and garlic intended for sprinkling on salads, but I love it as substitute for fresh herbs in a bunch of dishes! Use Italian Seasoning, or any other spice mix you like, as a replacement.
By my reckoning, this is 1 PowerFuel, 1 SmartCarb, and one Extra.