Could someone please explain to me why, when we only 3 ‘Limited Extras’ a day, there are recipes out there that expect you to blow through two, or even three at a time? On a snack?
I mentioned to DH that if our snacks are supposed to be a SmartCarb and a PowerFuel, then there had to be tasty ways of combining one of each – and just one of each.
His eyes lit up when I suggested this one:
Ingredients (for 1 serving)
1 Whole Wheat Tortilla (6″)
2 heaping tbsp salsa
1 string cheese, shredded (I used marble)
1 pinch Cajun seasoning, chili powder or other salt-free seasoning blend
1 tbsp green onion, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400F. (I used the broiler)
- Put the tortilla on a small broiling rack or cookie sheet.
- Spread the salsa on half the tortilla.
- Top with cheese, green onions and seasoning.
- Fold other half of the tortilla over the side with the salsa.
- Cook in middle of the oven for 4 – 5 minutes, watching carefully to make sure it doesn’t burn!
- Transfer to a cutting board, and cut into 2 – 3 wedges with a pizza cutter.
You could probably do this one at work if you have access to a toaster oven. I’ll see what I can do about adding microwave directions soon, too.
By my calculations, this is 1 PowerFuel & 1 SmartCarb