I’ve been holding off on trying the Meatballs in Marinara Sauce because I wasn’t personally fond of the lunchtime tortellini entree (although DH likes it well enough). I’ve taken the plunge tonight, with inspiration from The Seasoned Mom’s “Dump and Bake Meatball Casserole”.
Ingredients (2 servings)
2 oz dry macaroni pasta (by weight)
3/4 cup water
3/4 cup strained tomatoes
3.5 cups* chopped vegetables (onions, mushrooms, blanched carrots**, zucchini, red pepper, spinach, etc.)
2 pkg NS Meatballs in Marinara Sauce Dinner Entree
1 clove garlic, minced (or 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
1/2 tsp dried basil (or 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning)
dash hot sauce
1 mozzarella string cheese**
- Preheat the oven to 425F;
- Mix everything except the cheese in an oven-proof casserole dish, making sure that the pasta is poked down into the liquid;
- Cover. If you don’t have a lid for the casserole, cover tightly in aluminum foil;
- Bake for 30 minutes;
- While the casserole is in the oven, pull the string cheese into strips, then cut to form shreds;
- Remove, mix. Scatter cheese over top;
- Return to oven and cook, uncovered, another 15 minutes.
This was good! DH gave it a ‘Husband-Highly-Approved’ rating.
The pasta was still a bit crunchy when I took the dish out of the foil, but it was nicely done when the dish came out of the oven the second time.
I’m sorry for so many ‘Meal in a Bowl’ items, but that’s what the food seems to lend itself to!
Notes & Comments
The macaroni is in place of the small roll suggested with the Meatball entree. I was actually how much there seemed to be of it.
* I realized later that I had only used 2 cups of vegetables. It was enough, tonight, but there should have been 3.5 or so cups of raw vegetables to give the full 2 servings, with the strained tomatoes.
** Make sure that you either blanch hard vegetables like carrots, though, or cut them very small if you are using fresh, because they were tendercrisp at the end.
***The mozzarella string cheese was 60 calories, according to the package, so this works out to 2 Extras.
These are the strained tomatoes I used. They come in a nice, resealable bottle, which is great when you only need a small portion at a time!
By my calculations, 1 serving works out to 1 NS Dinner, 2 servings of Vegetables & 1 Extra.
Bon Appétit, folks!