Good evening, folks!
Sorry for the pictures in today’s blog. Despite the fact that the iPod survived it’s dunking in the Leftover Soup, it was out of power and I had to use my phone.
DH was a great help over the weekend, and had to run out to a meeting before I got home last night, so I wanted to make a special dinner tonight.
He was kind enough to chop the vegetables, so all I had to do when I got home (late, thanks to traffic), was cook everything.
Ingredients (for 2 servings)
1 cup hot brown rice
Celery, diced *
Onions, chopped *
Red Pepper, julienned *
3 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 cup of tomato juice or strained tomatoes
several drops of hot pepper sauce (such as Tabasco)
1 pinch of cayenne pepper
2 packages of NS BBQ Seasoned Chicken
- If your rice isn’t already cooked, get it started!
- Pre-heat a non-stick frying pan;
- Spray with cooking spray. Add bell pepper, celery, onion and lemon juice;
- Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently;
- Add tomato sauce, hot pepper sauce and cayenne pepper;
- Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, then add the chicken;
- Cook for another 5 minutes. Serve over rice, with a salad on the side.
(Notes – if you want to make this as a flex meal, use 6 oz raw chicken in place of the BBQ Seasoned Chicken entrees. Brown it first, between steps 2 and 3, then proceed as per the directions above.)
* These should total about 4 cups.
The rice counts as a SmartCarb, replacing the small roll that is supposed to accompany the chicken. The Creole Chicken was ‘husband-approved’!
By my calculations, this counts as a NS Dinner entree, 1 extra and 2 servings of vegetables.
The salad on the table was made with lettuce from the Aerogarden. I got this whole bowl-full out of the garden, but it doesn’t look like it!