Good morning! Do you ever have cravings? I had one this morning for pancakes…
There aren’t any shelf-stable pancakes in Nutrisystem right now, so I had to pull this recipe out. It’s based on a ‘single serving pancakes’ recipe I found online ages ago, combined with a couple of twists inspired by a 400-year old recipe I found in my copy of The English House-Wife (1637).
Ingredients (for 1 serving)
2 tbsps all-purpose flour
2 tbsps whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
2 tsps sugar substitute, plus 1 pinch for garnish
1 tablespoon unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup skim milk
1 large egg
1 tsp brown sugar, for garnish
1 teaspoon lemon juice, for garnish
- Sift first four ingredients into a small bowl and whisk to combine.
- In a large mug (it makes pouring easier!), whisk together the egg, milk and applesauce until combined. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and stir until well combined.
- Lightly grease a non-stick frying pan (or cast iron frying pan – if you’re lucky enough to have one) and heat to a medium-low temperature.
- Pour batter into pan. (I usually get 5 or 6 pancakes out of the batch.)
- Cook until bubbles form on surface, flip and cook the other side until lightly browned.
- Combine brown sugar and remaining pinch of spice. Sprinkle sugar, then lemon juice, over the pancakes.
Per Serving (according to MasterCook): 242 Calories; 6g Fat (20.6% calories from fat); 12g Protein; 36g Carbohydrate; 3g Dietary Fiber; 213mg Cholesterol; 608mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean Meat; 0 Fruit; 0 Non-Fat Milk; 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.
I’d call this one one PowerFuel, one SmartCarb,and 1 Limited Extra.
Categories: 30 Minute Meals, Breakfast or Brunch, Cheese, Milk & Yoghurt, Diabetic, Eggs, Healthy Cooking, Nutrisystem (Incl. Volumizing), PowerFuel, Serves 1 or 2, Vegetarian